Anabolic steroids are the synthetic variation of male sex hormone testosterone. Experts actually term these steroids as “Anabolic Androgenic Steroids” (AAS). Anabolic actually means a muscle building agent, and androgenic means an agent that can increase secondary male sex characteristics. Bodybuilders, sports persons, cine stars, and many individuals use these steroids for prominent muscular curves, and better muscular endurance.
Testosterone and AASs
Testosterone is the main hormone in the human body that are responsible for the most of the male sex characteristics. This is called androgenic characteristics of the hormone. This hormone also plays a significant role in maintaining nitrogen balance in the muscles. Thus, testosterone helps in maintaining muscle mass, and healing muscle damage. These characteristics are together called androgenic characteristics of the hormone. So, it can be said that testosterone has dual actions in the body – androgenic, as also anabolic.
Every synthetic steroid that is derived from testosterone, with some modifications in this hormone’s molecular structure is called AAS, like Deca Durabolin is derived from testosterone by eliminating the 19th carbon molecule. The changes in the molecular structure are deliberately created to make these steroids more powerful, and more effective in the body, i.e. the molecular structure of testosterone has been reformed in these steroids to create drugs that are more or less anabolic, and more or less androgenic in nature.
Some of these extremely famous drugs are Dianabol, Deca Durabolin, Anavar, Winstrol, Trenbolone, etc. From a popular site related to AASs, anyone can get features of all these popular steroids elaborately.
Common benefits of anabolic steroids
Here are some common benefits of anabolic steroids:
- The muscles become stronger and more flexible
- Muscle mass increases significantly
- Bone density also increases significantly
- Lean mass of the body increases
- Fat deposit in the body burns out quickly
- Metabolism strengthens
Overall, the steroids are perfectly formulated for those people who need to practice their game, or practice different exercises vigorously on a daily basis. They help to burn out fat deposit, without decreasing the lean mass of the body. They also help to retain muscle mass, and bone density even after a daylong physical labor.
Physicians and health care experts often prescribe some of these steroids to treat hormonal and different health issues, such as delayed puberty, loss of muscular strength, bone fracture, and some cognitive disorders, etc. Anabolic steroids can also treat diseases such as asthma, cancer and AIDS.
Anabolic steroids in bodybuilding and sports
Steroids are used both in bulking period, and cutting period. Performers in different sports, like athletes, cyclists, swimmers, etc. and professional bodybuilders use these steroids in regulated doses in different ways, such as
- Pyramiding – Use of a steroid starts in minute quantities, and doses are increased with time until, the highest possible dose is reached.
- Cycling – This is the most common form of using anabolic steroids. It includes, using a steroid for a certain period, and then stropping the doses for a certain period. This is called on-off periods, like clenbuterol is normally taken in “2-week on and 2-week off” cycle.
- Stacking – In this process, more than one steroid is taken together during a cycle.